Welcome to the Science Department / Croeso i'r Adran Wyddoniaeth
Science is the largest department in the school, with 6 experienced and specialist teachers, supported by two technicians. We have 6 fully equipped laboratories, all with interactive white boards plus the use of a small PC suite.
Science department staff:
- Mr R Woodman - Head of Science and teacher of Physics
- Mrs R Bailey - Second in Science and teacher of Biology
- Miss E Bowen - Teacher of Biology, Year 11 Progress manager
- Mrs L Wakely - Teacher of Chemistry, Second in Welsh Bacc department
- Miss R Harries - Teacher of Maths & Physics, Second in Maths
- Miss C Bassett - Teacher of Chemistry, Year 8 Progress Manager
Students complete Key Stage 3 in three years, following a scheme written by the department. Year 7 pupils are taught by a single teacher throughout the year, but occasionally a group is shared with a second teacher. Most year 8 and 9 pupils are taught by subject specialists.
Students start their Key Stage 4 course at the end of Year 9 and follow one of these routes:
- WJEC GCSEs in Biology, Chemistry and Physics (what was once known as ‘Triple Science’).
- WJEC Double Award GCSE in Science.
- WJEC Double Award in GCSE Applied Science.
Biology, Chemistry and Physics are offered at AS and A level, and they are popular options.
We have regular revision and extra study sessions throughout the day and after school. Numerous trips have been organised over the last few years, including visits to the Natural History Museum, Science Museum, Techniquest, Spaceguard and Cardigan Wildlife Centre.
Various Science clubs run throughout the year with an enthusiastic membership. We are the only school in Pembrokeshire to have an Astronomy Club and access to an inflatable planetarium. GCSE Astronomy is an option as an extracurricular activity.
Below are a few images of the 'Biology Club' whilst on their 'Bug Hunt'.